Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: J Alex <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:43:50 GMT

"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote
> J Alex wrote:

<snip>

> > Sure they do. Some people without the degrees are very good, but
> > invariably
> > the developers/dbas that have been least effective have not had an
> > IT-related degree. Why do you think IT is so different than say,
> > chemistry or geology?
> >
> Right - thank you.

You're welcome.

> I'm from the era comp.sci education had to be
> invented. By your default, I would be less effective than you.

No, I never said that.

> Funny how many companies ask for me by name, then.
> Oh - I see; I'm one the the exceptions?!?

Apparently so.

<snip>

> > Then why are people on this board advocating certification requirements?
> > If
> > everybody in IT is fully qualified to do their job, then certification
> > is a
> > waste of time. And if there is no problem with unqualified people, why
> > did
> > you say "I routinely notice all people working in IT younger than about
> > 30
> > usually don't know anything about development methods and logical
> > thinking."
> > Please be consistent in your posts.
> >
> Hmmm - I do see a lot from Daniel Morgan. And with his background (he's
> in the teaching business) I see another point why he would defend
> regulation and advertise more education (if that is the right way to put
> it; I don't mean advertise in any commercial way).

Actually, I think DM said his degree was in chemistry, so he, like you, would also have a reason to say computer science degrees do not matter. Received on Thu Jan 08 2004 - 18:43:50 CST