Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:39:05 +1100

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

> A lot landed on their feet. Some became enamoured with Macs, some
> became Oracle indies (or maybe Oracle undies in your part of the world
> :-)

Joel I know you're not one of them. But you wouldn't believe the crap I had to put up with in 6 years of dealing closely with DEC "experts". Truly unbelievable.

> very few were actually stupid. As far as arrogance, I think the
> top-down Oracle culture has always had DEC beat.

Dunno. It's bad at Oracle, but at least they (usually) admit when they are wrong. DEC's "experts" never did.

> I didn't. I saw it as a triumph of suits and kiddies.

Hehehe! Dunno. The whole thing went downhill form the point in time when KO left.

It's the problem with all these "personality-driven" 80's companies: they lose all drive when the head honcho founder goes. Happened with Wang, Prime, DG, DEC, to a certain extent the Mac, Compaq and so many others. I wouldn't waste one pico-second of my time with Sun the day Scott goes.

And as much as it pains me to admit, M$ has recognised this problem and is working on it. While Lazza is still living in fah-lah-lah land on this one...

> Oh come on, read your IBM history, the US gummint came down harder on
> IBM than anyone who wasn't an enemy since the oil trusts.

Pity they didn't carry it through.

> Changed
> their whole business model.

Did they? I didn't notice any changes... The AS400 is STILL their biggest cash-cow. 20 years later!

> Any "healthy competition" was forced.

You mean "forced out", no? The bunch was anything but "forced" competition!

> So now we have a bunch of little monopolies, also known as patents.
> Guess who has the most of those?

Without a doubt. And a lot more. Gerstner's book was an immense eye-opener on something I already suspected.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto