Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:24:38 +1100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1071675089.34013_at_yasure...

> Whoa and slow down. I didn't blame anyone for anything. Didn't blame

Sorry, it was late, I was tired and I got excited. There's also been a lot of crap in my personal life of late and I incorrectly reacted on that. My apologies.

> various aspects of the previous release. If said person hadn't really
> learned 9i what did they think they were going to do with 10g?

Hmmmmnnno, I don't agree with this. One doesn't need to FULLY exploit every single feature of any given version before being "ready" for the next one. In many cases one doesn't even touch a particular version, features or not.

I for one didn't even bother with 9ir1 other than as fun "learn" mode in my notebook. Why? Because I don't know that many sites using it. Most stayed with 8ir3 or went straight to 9ir2, which is much more stable and has a lot more usable features.

It's the old story: "always skip an Oracle Vx.1"... Hey the saying is not even mine, don't blame me! ;)

> would I know? But the point is that much of what was added with 9i still
> remains unexploited.

and it will remain that way, Daniel. Oracle for one is not even interested in pushing it anymore. As for the 3rd party brigade, they won't even remotely bother with anything that distances them from the common ground with DB2 or SS. So, it's a lost cause.

> And given that it has nothing to do with third-party apps why aren't you
> using V_$DB_CACHE_ADVICE if you are on 9i?

Why?

Because if I use it to split my cache and the freakin 3rd-party mob finds out I've so much as changed ONE SINGLE LINE in "THEIR" init.ora (SPFILE, bleeding whatever), I'll be out of a job so fast I won't even graze the walls on the way out.

Because the stupid and ignorant "consultant" from the 3rd party will state to all heavens that now the app is compromised, that I do NOT know ANYTHING about it, that the warranty of the software has been made void by my "irresponsible" actions, and the proverbial will hit the fan with my boss.

And guess what:

The farkwit from Oracle consultancy that I may call to help support my case will IMMEDIATELY support the 3rd party ignoramus. In the hope that by kicking me out of the site, Oracle consultancy will inherit the job.

That is why!

And that's why even though I know perfectly well what to do with the darn view, I don't have the SLIGHTEST intention of doing ANYTHING with it!

Don't blame the DBAs: it's Oracle and their moronic marketing, and the 3rd party suppliers and their ignorant "con-sultants" that are DIRECTLY responsible for this state of affairs.

Not me.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto