Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:34:42 -0800

Comments in-line with random snipping.

Noons wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1071675089.34013_at_yasure...
>

>>Whoa and slow down.

> I incorrectly reacted on that. My apologies.

Unnecessary but accepted.

>>various aspects of the previous release. If said person hadn't really
>>learned 9i what did they think they were going to do with 10g?

> Hmmmmnnno, I don't agree with this. One doesn't need to FULLY exploit
> every single feature of any given version before being "ready" for the next one.
> In many cases one doesn't even touch a particular version, features or not.

I agree with everything you wrote. But a couple of the items on my list aren't obscure features. They are meat and potatos for moving to 10g.

>>And given that it has nothing to do with third-party apps why aren't you
>>using V_$DB_CACHE_ADVICE if you are on 9i?

> Why?

Beause it is the direction Oracle is taking the product. And those that don't learn it and implement it will be like COBOL programmers that will still writing COBOL in 2001.

> Because if I use it to split my cache and the freakin 3rd-party
> mob finds out I've so much as changed ONE SINGLE LINE in "THEIR"
> init.ora (SPFILE, bleeding whatever), I'll be out of a job so fast
> I won't even graze the walls on the way out.

Then you have my empathy.

> Because the stupid and ignorant "consultant" from the 3rd party
> will state to all heavens that now the app is compromised, that I
> do NOT know ANYTHING about it, that the warranty of the software
> has been made void by my "irresponsible" actions, and the proverbial
> will hit the fan with my boss.

Let me guess: Siebel? SAP? PeopleSoft?

> And guess what:
>
> The farkwit from Oracle consultancy that I may call to help support
> my case will IMMEDIATELY support the 3rd party ignoramus. In the hope
> that by kicking me out of the site, Oracle consultancy will inherit
> the job.
>
> That is why!

Consider that document called a resume'. It may take awhile for the right opportunity but I'd be looking for the door.

> And that's why even though I know perfectly well what to do with the darn
> view, I don't have the SLIGHTEST intention of doing ANYTHING with it!

I understand.

> Don't blame the DBAs: it's Oracle and their moronic marketing,
> and the 3rd party suppliers and their ignorant "con-sultants"
> that are DIRECTLY responsible for this state of affairs.
>
> Not me.

I'm with you on many of the 3rd party suppliers. But why, exactly, is their refusal to follow advice given numerous times by Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, Richard Foote, etc., etc. etc. Oracle's rsponsibility.

And before you answer let me ask a question.

When you buy a car do you expect driving lessons?

When you buy a steak do you expect the check-out clerk to come home and cook it for you?

Then why do you expect Oracle to teach you, or the 3rd party app vendors, how to properly use their product?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)