Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Dec 2003 16:25:59 -0800

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3fe18368$0$18691$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
>

> > A lot landed on their feet. Some became enamoured with Macs, some
> > became Oracle indies (or maybe Oracle undies in your part of the world
> > :-)
>

> Joel I know you're not one of them. But you wouldn't believe the crap
> I had to put up with in 6 years of dealing closely with DEC "experts".
> Truly unbelievable.

Maybe it was just different in this part of the world.

> > very few were actually stupid. As far as arrogance, I think the
> > top-down Oracle culture has always had DEC beat.
>

> Dunno. It's bad at Oracle, but at least they (usually) admit when
> they are wrong. DEC's "experts" never did.
>

> > I didn't. I saw it as a triumph of suits and kiddies.
>

> Hehehe! Dunno. The whole thing went downhill form the point
> in time when KO left.
>
> It's the problem with all these "personality-driven" 80's companies:
> they lose all drive when the head honcho founder goes.
> Happened with Wang, Prime, DG, DEC, to a certain extent the Mac,
> Compaq and so many others. I wouldn't waste one pico-second of my
> time with Sun the day Scott goes.

Maybe that should be "after Joy left?" :-)

> And as much as it pains me to admit, M$ has recognised this
> problem and is working on it. While Lazza is still living
> in fah-lah-lah land on this one...

LOL

Well, I was referring much further back, to the 1956 consent decree http://www.compamerica.com/ibm1956cd.html , not the later stuff like http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f1200/1273.htm#CONTNUM_24 .

> > Any "healthy competition" was forced.
>
> You mean "forced out", no? The bunch was anything but
> "forced" competition!
>
> > So now we have a bunch of little monopolies, also known as patents.
> > Guess who has the most of those?
>
> Without a doubt. And a lot more. Gerstner's book was an immense
> eye-opener on something I already suspected.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
EXP-00091: exporting questionable statistics.