System Requirements Oracle 9i Database

From: Larry R Harrison Jr <larrytuaz_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:04:11 -0700

My wife, who wants to help me jump-start my database designing skill-set (I do a lot of it in Access & Visual Basic), purchased Oracle 9i Database for me. It has 16 CDs altogether.

I am a total newbie with this altogether, I mean TOTALLY--any average 9-year old knows as much about it as I do. My skillset in Access & Visual Basic is considerable--to the point I have a couple of clients whom I've been designing such databases for--but in Oracle I am totally dumb, frankly.

Heck, I'm not even sure how current Oracle 9i is. And as my wife paid less than $100 for these 16 CDs--and I've always been under the impression that Oracle is a VERY serious software package--I figured it would cost a grand at least, so maybe she didn't even get the real version of it for all I know.

What are the system requirements for this version? I currently have Windows XP Professional (not server) on a 500 MHz computer with 256 Meg of RAM; I am about to add a 1.753 Gigahertz Athlon XP 2100 system with 512 Meg of RAM and a 30 Gig Hard drive, and I figure that would be powerful enough.

Tips?

Also, what books are good for learning this?

LRH Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 18:04:11 CST