Re: System Requirements Oracle 9i Database

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:27:06 GMT

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> My wife, who wants to help me jump-start my database designing skill-set (I
> do a lot of it in Access & Visual Basic), purchased Oracle 9i Database for
> me. It has 16 CDs altogether.
>
> I am a total newbie with this altogether, I mean TOTALLY--any average 9-year
> old knows as much about it as I do. My skillset in Access & Visual Basic is
> considerable--to the point I have a couple of clients whom I've been
> designing such databases for--but in Oracle I am totally dumb, frankly.
>
> Heck, I'm not even sure how current Oracle 9i is. And as my wife paid less
> than $100 for these 16 CDs--and I've always been under the impression that
> Oracle is a VERY serious software package--I figured it would cost a grand
> at least, so maybe she didn't even get the real version of it for all I
> know.

It's possible she either purchased CDPack from the Oracle Store or got the TechNet Developer pack. Either way, the purchase of the software and the 'right to use' license are independant issues. Since it has 16 CDs, I suspect it's the full CD Pack and she probably signed up using a Trial License to get them.

You need to see the License agreement to determine whether there are limitations to rolling that out. (I suspect the biggie is "don't put anything in production without additional agreement in place.")

> What are the system requirements for this version? I currently have Windows
> XP Professional (not server) on a 500 MHz computer with 256 Meg of RAM; I am
> about to add a 1.753 Gigahertz Athlon XP 2100 system with 512 Meg of RAM and
> a 30 Gig Hard drive, and I figure that would be powerful enough.

Not bad - a bit lite on memory (recommend 512M), but not bad.

> Tips?

More details in the docco. Install the disk B10501-01 and look for the Installation Guide for Windows. Read carefully BEFORE attempting install!

> Also, what books are good for learning this?

Read, and re-reread, the Database Administration Concepts that is on the CD. (The documentation CD includes about 55,000 pages of books. You really don't need to spend more $)

Get an account at http://otn.oracle.com (free), then click on 'Sample Code' and go to 'Oracle By Example' for step-by-step introduction courses.

Look at http://oracle.oreilly.com fo other interesting books.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]