Re: SQL Server Yukon

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:18:06 +0000

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:51:31 +0000, Niall Litchfield wrote:

Morning Niall,

> A UK example but Tescos accounts for 1 in 8GBP of all UK spending and
> tesco.com beats the hell out of their competitors.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=130
> 66

Ummm - Tesco's use Oracle because a friend of my wife works there !

> It may be that amazon.com requires the power of Oracle but if ( say)
> walmart.com doesn't and tescos is larger.

Amazon run their business on HP-UX servers (or so I've been told by HP anyway) and SQL Server doesn't run on HP-UX. I suspect this limited the choice of database somewhat.

MS need to get their head out of the sand and port their products to other/competing operating systems if they want to 'expand'. Even Interbase/Firebird runs on Windows/Unix/Linux etc and it's hardly a SQL Server. (It actually better - IMHO)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.