Re: SQL Server Yukon

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:51:31 -0000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1067277048.821099_at_yasure...
> You'd be correct. SQL Server has been easy to manage for years.
> Partially one must admit
> if one is honest because those that use it rarely have to meet the level
> of demanding apps
> that one routinely puts on top of Oracle. Just for one example, no one
> would in their wildest
> imagination have tried to host Amazon.com on SQL Server. I just finished
> a project with a
> small telephone company that pushed SQL Server to the point that it
> croaked. We went to
> Oracle and even without tuning handled 10X the throughput.

A UK example but Tescos accounts for 1 in 8GBP of all UK spending and tesco.com beats the hell out of their competitors.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=130 66

It may be that amazon.com requires the power of Oracle but if ( say) walmart.com doesn't and tescos is larger.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA