Re: Migrate from Interbase 5.5 to Oracle 9.2

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:07:55 +0000

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:48:22 +0500, VirVit wrote:

> Hello! Are there any standart solutions how to transfer data from Interbase
> 5.5 to Oracle 9i? All triggers, procedures I'll move manually, but large
> amount of data ... (near 50 Gb).

Ouch !

The triggers will probably not work correctly.

The stored procedures will not work correctly !

The tables can be recreated manually - if you have a script, but Oracle doesn't have DOMAINS - so you'll have to convert these as well.

Indexing may need to be reconsidered as the 'create an index for a constraint' processes are different.

The data will most likely need to be recreated using 'insert into table(...) values (...)' statement generated by the Interbase end of things.

Generators will have to be changed to sequences.

Have a look over at www.ibobjects.com for a utility called IBO_SQL which might help - it can generate scripts etc from Interbase/Firebird databases. I think it works with 5.5 - but it's a free utility so you won't have to pay to find out.

I think you have a big job on your hands - do you *really* have to convert ? Why not upgrade to Firebird instead - it's far better and has less bugs that Interbase. Version 1.5 is at RC5 (or 6) just now and is pretty solid.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.