Re: are hints still necessary in 9i?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:05:49 +0100

I think Tom Kyte may be coming from
the direction of controlling the design
and usage of all aspects of the system.

I know several ways to design a system
that will cripple the optimizer's ability to do anything intelligent - even with the
best possible statistics you can give it.

However, for a reasonably designed
system, it is possible to get pretty close to that 'never'.

Another thought, though, is that there
are some 'uncosted' features in some
releases that can only be enabled by
hinting (e.g. unnesting in 8.1). So that's a reason for costing above and beyond
the usual one of 'the optimizer is using the wrong path'.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Iceland__November (tbc)
____Belgium__November (EOUG event)