Re: If we change the root shell to csh on Solaris, is this likely to be supported by Oracle?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:52:59 GMT

Mike Crawford wrote:

> Our hosting facility is proposing we change the root shell on Solaris
> 9 from the standard Bourne shell which comes standard with Solaris to
> the C shell.
>
> Does anyone know if this would be supported by Oracle under our
> support contract?
>
> Any other comments?

You might want to re-evaluate your hosting company AND talk to SMCC (Sun). While not a bad thing, I would want to understand the real reason for going to csh under root.

Unless things have changed radically, most system admin products in Solaris environment assume Bourne or Korn shell. IIRC, about 5 years ago, SMCC actually had an official statement about csh under root.

I'd be cautious of anyone saying they need to spend a lot of time doing scripted stuff as root anyway. Most stuff should be done as an administrator but not as root.

Direct response to your question: Oracle provides duplicate scripts in Bourne and C shells - I doubt whether they'd be upset. If you want a definitive answer, log a TAR and get it right from the "horse's mouth". (Yes, that is a legitimate reason to use search metalink and/or log a TAR.) Aside from that, there is next to no reason at all for using root when you touch the Oracle environment & anyone who does so regularly should be terminated immediately. Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 13:52:59 CDT