Re: RMAN question

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:29:08 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f4oonv8vdj1refoaikcq8965s26vejsf5j_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:17:17 +0200, "Volker Hetzer"
> <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote:
>
> >After all, what are the benefits?
>
> Please answer your own question after you needed to recover data older
> than controlfile_record_keep_time (defaults to 7 days)
If I need to recover something outside the recovery window I simply had it set up the wrong way. Since the recovery window isn't set according to the whim of the dba but is agreed upon with the customers, what's the problem? And if we really need an old backup for some monstrous archaeological purpose I can always set up a db and recover an old controlfile from an old backup. However, there's definitely no guarantee for the customers that the tapes are still there. He *did* specify a recovery window, remember? If he wanted a longer one he only had to say.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 13:29:08 CDT