Re: Is it possible to recover just one datafile/tablespace "until cancel"?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:55:45 GMT

"Brian Peasland" <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:3F787827.EBBFA335_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> Yes...as I've stated in your other thread. Here are the steps:
>
> 1. Restore datafile from backup
> 2. STARTUP MOUNT
> 3. RECOVER DATAFILE 'filename' UNTIL CACNEL;
> 4. Apply logs and choose CANCEL at any time
> 5. ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; (since you did incomplete recovery)
> 6. Take a complete backup

Hi Brian,

You cruel man !!

The above of course is *NOT* possible (sorry for the bad news Stan).

A basic principle of database recovery is that all components of the database must be in sync with each other (for them to be accessible anyway). If the above were possible, it would mean you could have one file in a tablespace (containing say half a table) at a different point of time from other files in a tablespace (and the other half of the table).

Do you kinda spot the problem with this ?

To perform an incomplete recovery you *must* restore *all* datafiles in your database (or at least those you want accessible at the end of the recovery operation). Importantly not the redo logs and generally not the control files (although there are times you may want to restore these as well).

However, incomplete recovery scenarios can sometimes be tricky affairs (for beginners) and it's somewhat beyond the scope of this post to delve down into it all.

But to summarise, the above steps are dooooooommmmmmeeeeddddd.

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 07:55:45 CDT