Re: Enhancing large table performance

From: Eric Parker <eric.parkerthedross_at_virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:24:46 +0100

"Pritam" <pritamganguly_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:166770ed.0309282344.f374aec_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all
> I am quite new to oracle. I have a problem in hand. I have a table
> which has around 300,000 entries. I am creating four more tables from
> this table each of size around 70,000 entries. I am doing this through
> java application. The time oracle server takes create each table is
> around 3 hours. So the total time taken is around 12 hours. I need to
> shorted this time to around 3-4 hours. Can anyone give me some
> directions. Like creating 4 threads in java to parrallely create those
> four tables. Will that help?. Or ways to tune oracle to serve the
> purpose.Or is there ways to write the SQL so that it takes less time.
> Its a simple query to create sub tables from a master table based on
> some fields. The oracle database is on a PC having the following
> configuration. 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, P4 2Ghz. Do i need to upgrade my
> machine. Plz give me any leads you can to reduce the table creation
> time.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Pritam

Pritam

It's always helpful to state Oracle version and OS.

Why are you creating the four tables from the larger one ?

How often will you be doing this ?

If you really do need the four tables is it not possible to execute 'CREATE TABLE DEST_TABLE_1 AS SELECT A,
B, .. FROM SOURCE_TABLE' ? Your PC lacks RAM - should be at least 512MB. What would be the consequences of your hard disk going duff ?

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly