Enhancing large table performance

From: Pritam <pritamganguly_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2003 00:44:00 -0700

Hi all
I am quite new to oracle. I have a problem in hand. I have a table which has around 300,000 entries. I am creating four more tables from this table each of size around 70,000 entries. I am doing this through java application. The time oracle server takes create each table is around 3 hours. So the total time taken is around 12 hours. I need to shorted this time to around 3-4 hours. Can anyone give me some directions. Like creating 4 threads in java to parrallely create those four tables. Will that help?. Or ways to tune oracle to serve the purpose.Or is there ways to write the SQL so that it takes less time. Its a simple query to create sub tables from a master table based on some fields. The oracle database is on a PC having the following configuration. 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, P4 2Ghz. Do i need to upgrade my machine. Plz give me any leads you can to reduce the table creation time.

Thanks in advance
Pritam Received on Mon Sep 29 2003 - 02:44:00 CDT