Re: Memory leak

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 23 Sep 2003 06:38:10 -0700

Adolfo <air_at_tid.es> wrote in message news:<3F701E51.26B98133_at_tid.es>...
> Hi,
>
> We are using oracle server 8.1.7.3 and solaris 2.6. We have put the
> latest patchset for solaris 2.6 but when we run a heavy query the system
> memory go down quickly. Our SGA is 300Mb. When we shutdown our instance
> the system not recovery the memory and we have to reset the machine.

If you have a feeling that you're loosing to much memory while running complicate query, then you should look especially at sort_area_size parameter. Maybe it was set too high and oracle aquires too much memory during sorting.
You should clarify your last sentence. I've never seen or even heard about not recovering memory after shutdown. You mean all memory or just a smaller memory leak? Seems to me you have probably an OS issue rather than Oracle one. However, that's just a guess. As I know 8.1.7.3 should be OK in terms of memory leaks, some problems in earlier versions should be already solved. And memory leak usually occurs during usage of database and not during shutdown sequence.

with regards

--
Dusan Bolek