Re: Does Oracle 10G new database still need an DBA to manage it?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:42:34 GMT

"Eric" <eric32_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:CNNbb.2548$1H3.177088_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Oracle announced its new 10G database and claims it is the self managing
> database. Does this mean the new database is like Microsoft Office and
there
> is no need any dba to manage it?

Hi Eric

A modern aircraft doesn't really need a pilot but when the pooh pooh hits the fan (or the port engine), thank goodness we still have them.

To Oracle's credit, most of the marketing blah blah blah doesn't suggest DBAs are redundant, rather that DBAs need worry even less about the nitty gritty boring bits of the job. I think they may have learnt from past mistakes.

The question I have is that does this mean the debate about hit ratios is finally redundant ;)

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue Sep 23 2003 - 08:42:34 CDT