Re: Help on connection to Oracle with Microsoft ODBC (VB 6.0)

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:22:40 +0200

On 18 Sep 2003 13:56:35 -0700, mhakimjavadi_at_hotmail.com (Mohammad) wrote:

>Hello
>
>I need help!!!!
>
>The Problem:
>
>I am trying to setup an ODBC DSN to an Oracle 9i server that resides
>at
>Stanford U across The Internet. I have everything set up to the best
>of my
>knowledge correctly but when I attempt to connect via the ODBC DSN via
>32-bit ODBC Test app (or any other app that supports ODBC connections
>for
>that matter) I get the following.
>
>"Error Number : -2147467259","Error Description : [Microsoft][ODBC
>driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service
>name"
>
>Oh yes, I should tell you that SQL Plus 9.0.1.0.0 connects to the
>server fine.
>Also TNSPING.EXE finds the server fine.
>
>Thanks again. Could you please send me sample code of VB for ODBC
>connection to Oracle DB or give me information about oracle client
>setting that maybe I forgot that. Also, please email me directly at
>this address as well as posting inthe group.
>
>Thanks,
>Mohammad

Likely you have two ORACLE_HOME directories and only one correct tnsnames.ora
You need to set the registry variable HKLM\software\oracle\TNS_ADMIN to the directory your tnsnames.ora resides. The directory for this file is %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin, where %ORACLE_HOME% is your 9.0 Oracle_home

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 13:22:40 CDT