Re: Linux filesystems & oracle performance

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:32:42 GMT

Have a look at the recent papers by Quest software on this very subject. I've given you a link to the second part of three parts pertaining to Oracle on Linux and file systems. From there, you get links to the other 2 parts if you want.

http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v2/linux2.htm

Thanks,
Brian

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

> I am moving an two ex-production databases on to some *newer* hardware
> running SuSE 7.3 pro and 9ir2. This will serve a few purposes, a
> "sandbox" for me to play with linux/oracle, is one of them. The other is
> to keep the data available for historical queries as none of it was
> brought across to the the db that replaced them both.
>
> I have 9iR2 installed and more or less working with a *little* less
> teeth-gnashing than the 8i install, and have it set up so I can spread
> the datafiles across 2 scsi disks (3 in total). I have the partitions
> set up with with ext2 filesystems, but I recently read that oracle
> performance on linux can be enhanced by using the ext3 or reiser
> filesystems.
>
> Is this worth changing? I was thinking of changing the disks that the
> datafiles will reside on to ext3 or reiser and leaving the OS and oracle
> home on ext2, but I may blow the whole thing away anyway as I dont mind
> the *practice* doing linux/oracle installs...
>
> The database will likely be read-only and running in no archive log, and
> I want it to be as speedy as possible for large queries.
>
> tips appreciated...
>
> TIA

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com