Re: INDEX and DATA Tablespaces.....

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:30:13 -0700

Noons wrote:

>"Goran" <goran99_makni_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bk9pgb$oh0$1_at_fegnews.vip.hr...
>

>>With all due respect, how can two (whatever) datafiles on the same disk give
>>*the same* (or even better) performance as the same two on separate disks?
>>

>if one is read after the other?

I understand what you are saying but in a multiuser environment which came first the index block read or the table block read is reasonably irrelevant: Both are going on simultaneously. Then throw in some inserts and updates and the party starts to get interesting.

I can't see putting multiple datafiles on the same disk given the low price of disk unless the associated tablespaces were extremely low usage such as SYSTEM where most of it should end up in the cache and stay there. I think the best real world solution is SAME. Then it all becomes irrelevant.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu