Re: Choosing between Solaris and HP-UX 11i

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:14:55 GMT

I have no experience with HP, but I back Sybrand's claims that Sun Hardware is not very reliable. We replaced maybe 7 CPU boards, few CPUs, one IO board, numerous disks and a few memory modules over the past 2-3 years. Sun did help us at one point to reduce the number of CPU crashes due to us having non-mirrored CPU Ecache, but tuning some kernel parameters, which reduced crashes from 3-5 times per month to maybe 1 every 2-3 (only implemented 3 months ago). WIth regards to patches, the only ones that really seemed to help, were the disk firmware patches, that seemed to help reduce a number of disks going out.

It also not always easy to find a sun support guy that cares, but they do exist.

We are considering going with high-end Intel boxes, when these will go out of service soon.

On 11 Sep 2003 06:25:43 -0700, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl (Sybrand Bakker) wrote:

>We run both HP and SUN in our datacenter. The HP boxes don't seem to
>have any hardware incidents, however the SUN boxes have frequent
>hardware incidents, especially ECC memory. Almost all of the memory
>has been replaced in the last 2 years.
>What is worse, is the attitude of Sun with respect to their customers.
>They are quite quick to shout 'Not supported'. If you don't keep up
>and don't install all the patches they provide (and they provide quite
>many patches), you are likely going to be forced to patch your system,
>that is: if you want Sun to support you.
>If I would have a choice I would prefer AIX or HP.

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:14:55 CDT