Re: difference between sys and sysman

From: roger <rsr_at_rogerware.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:52:18 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:3f5e340f$0$14559$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au:

> "Fly" <FLAVYK_at_YAHOO.FR> wrote in message

>> Which is the principal difference between the account sys and sysman?
>> TIA

> That's a bit like asking what's the differences between apples and...
> space rockets. SYS is a privileged database account, and SYSMAN isn't
> a database account at all. SYSMAN is the administrative account for
> the Enterprise Manager's Management Server, which isn't a server in
> the usual sense, but merely a process (or, on Windows, a service).
>
> About as dissimilar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod could
> ever hope to be.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Not so fast there - maybe.

One of the (not so) great things about Oracle is the fundamental coupling between a "user" a schema.

They are one and the same and there's nothing you can do about it, except for create all of these things that look for all the world like user accounts but really are only there to define a schema, and/or (worse) try using synonymns (gak)

Off hand, I don't know if SYSMAN falls into that category or not, but you've described one as a "database account" and the other as an "administrative account" which would seem to have at least some degree of similarity. Received on Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:52:18 CDT