Re: Choosing between Solaris and HP-UX 11i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 06:25:43 -0700

kjdama_at_yahoo.com (KJD) wrote in message news:<8c907343.0309110209.72668ad6_at_posting.google.com>...
> My organization is embarking on a large Oracle based system utilizing
> 9iAs and Oracle 9iR2. The system is a mission critical OLTP
> application that will go live mid-year next year. Hardware platform
> is still under evaluation. I want to gather some feedback from the
> group on the choice between HP-UX 11i running on itanium or SUN
> Solaris. Which of the two can deliver better on Oracle reliability,
> scaleability, high availability, support, and ease of administration.
>
> Rgds,
>
> KJ

We run both HP and SUN in our datacenter. The HP boxes don't seem to have any hardware incidents, however the SUN boxes have frequent hardware incidents, especially ECC memory. Almost all of the memory has been replaced in the last 2 years.
What is worse, is the attitude of Sun with respect to their customers. They are quite quick to shout 'Not supported'. If you don't keep up and don't install all the patches they provide (and they provide quite many patches), you are likely going to be forced to patch your system, that is: if you want Sun to support you. If I would have a choice I would prefer AIX or HP.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Sep 11 2003 - 08:25:43 CDT