Re: Process Documentation and Engineering - In Use?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 20 Aug 2003 23:12:59 -0700

KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote

> So unless you have other reasons to do so (only reasons I can think of
> are that 8i supported a few of the more exotic unix flavours and was
> available for some 32bit Unix hardware where 9i is 64bit only on Unix I
> believe) I would go for Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition.

If your product only support 9.2 SE features, then you may more than likely not find a market among corporate clients running Enterprise Server and wanting to use ES features they have paid for..

So the answer in my mind is not that simple. You need to decide what market you're going to target and how you're going to position your product. For example, supporting the most "prelevant" version may just be wrong as you are missing a very profitable niche market for a sizeable customerbase that is not running the most "prelevant" version.

The good old 4 P's of marketing.

IMO this question is one that is answered by marketing & product research - not a technical answer in blindly going for something like 9.2 SE in the hope that you have cover most of the bases.

--
Billy