Re: Process Documentation and Engineering - In Use?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 20 Aug 2003 23:05:29 -0700

"earthink" <info_at_siliconmindset.com> wrote i

> Again the long and short is I appreciate the Architecture input- but lets
> assume that the architecture meets approval - WHAT IS THE MOST PREVELANT
> VERSION OF ORACLE OUT THERE - simple question - thanks

It's not such a simple question. As I said - Oracle 8 will only be desupported by year-end. Which means there is still a _lot_ of various flavours of Oracle 8.x installations out there. There are even 7.x installations still around. Then there's the release of 10G which is just a few months aways.

But so what? Why do you need to be Oracle version specific? Unless you're doing something very complex with SQL or PL/SQL (objects, new functions, etc that is version dependant and specific), SQL that works for Oracle 7 will still more than likely work for Oracle 10.

If you do go down to that complexity level of support for a specific database version... well then you have a problem... Even within an Oracle major version, there are at times significant changes within the minor versions to the extent of feature not working at all, to working as designed. How do you plan to cater for that?

Simplest approach is not to ask what is the most prelevant version, but to simply support the _current_ active version sold by Oracle.

--
Billy