Re: Process Documentation and Engineering - In Use?

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:38:03 +1200

Hi Bruce

Your question can be interpreted a number of ways; version as in product (Personal, Standard and Enterprise) or version as in release (8i, 9i etc.).

The differences between Standard edition and Enterprise edition are documented in the New Features document at http://tahiti.oracle.com - for software vendors who do not need EE features it is common to support   Standard edition as the cost difference between the two is significant for your customers. If it works on Standard it will work on Enterprise.

In terms of which release, Oracle tend to have long term support for their current and previous releases. So with the imminent arrival of release 10G, Oracle will put 8i (8.1.7) on desupport notice and will make 9.2 the terminal release of 9i - meaning 9.2 will be around and supported for a good number of years.

So unless you have other reasons to do so (only reasons I can think of are that 8i supported a few of the more exotic unix flavours and was available for some 32bit Unix hardware where 9i is 64bit only on Unix I believe) I would go for Oracle 9.2 Standard Edition.