Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedithezealot_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 12:00:39 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0307230040.60770b5d_at_posting.google.com>...
> jedithezealot_at_yahoo.com (JEDIDIAH) wrote in message news:<5121813f.0307221531.12f9353d_at_posting.google.com>...
>

> > Sure it is. RAC is a networked collection of smaller machines that
> > together can equal or surpass a larger machine equipped with the same
> > number of CPUs and RAM.
>
> <sigh>
> What makes you think I don't know that? Who said it doesn't?
> "equal or surpass in what? Database power? I/O bandwidth?
> Can those RAC nodes factor prime numbers faster?

    This is a discussion about database performance. Certain things are so obvious as to need not to be explicitly restated.

    How would your management measure the peformance of the servers and applications you're responsible for?

    The fact that RAC scales well, or scales better than a big NUMA box is NOT obvious. The cluster software has to prove itself first. Mangement of the cluster itself can overwhelm the associated hardware. Any poorly written SQL query is a good example of this sort of problem.

[deletia] Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 14:00:39 CDT