Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 01:40:36 -0700

jedithezealot_at_yahoo.com (JEDIDIAH) wrote in message news:<5121813f.0307221531.12f9353d_at_posting.google.com>...

> Sure it is. RAC is a networked collection of smaller machines that
> together can equal or surpass a larger machine equipped with the same
> number of CPUs and RAM.

<sigh>
What makes you think I don't know that? Who said it doesn't? "equal or surpass in what? Database power? I/O bandwidth? Can those RAC nodes factor prime numbers faster?

You've got to qualify a statement like the above.

> A RAC cluster certainly fits this description much better than any
> mainframe wannabe Sun NUMA machine.

No, it does not fit Sun's description of "the network is the computer". Ask Sun, they'll explain why. They should know, given the expression is theirs not Larry's?

Once again: I am NOT saying that there is or there is not a better fit. I AM saying that RAC isn't the appropriate one. Might be for the narrow, specific field of clustered database nodes. It's not a general purpose panacea.

I don't care if no one else has a better or worse solution, that's immaterial. I'm not here to measure relative lengths of appendages.

Not to say (once again) that RAC won't fit it better in future as it evolves. It's not there now. For a number of reasons.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 03:40:36 CDT