Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 18:04:41 -0700

jedithezealot_at_yahoo.com (JEDIDIAH) wrote in message news:<5121813f.0307231100.24f1f831_at_posting.google.com>...

> This is a discussion about database performance. Certain things
> are so obvious as to need not to be explicitly restated.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

> How would your management measure the peformance of the servers
> and applications you're responsible for?

Management doesn't understand, doesn't want to understand nor do they give a hoot about performance. That's "techo stuff". Rule number 1 of modern IT.
What's important is TCO. Perceived or actual is immaterial, numbers can *always* be fudged.

> The fact that RAC scales well, or scales better than a big
> NUMA box is NOT obvious. The cluster software has to prove itself
> first. Mangement of the cluster itself can overwhelm the associated
> hardware. Any poorly written SQL query is a good example of this
> sort of problem.

I'm not sure I follow, but I agree in principle.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 20:04:41 CDT