Re: How many releases for Oracle Applications E-Business 11i?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:49:40 GMT

Eric wrote:

> Still some confusion. What is the latest version and release for Oracle
> Applications E-Business? I think there are three versions called version 10,
> version 11 and version 11i. Each version has some releases. Oracle use this
> way in its database naming methodology.

As I understand it, Oracle application in the 10.x and 11.0 series were discrete applications - Oracle Financials, Oracle HR, etc.

With Oracle 10.7, they introduced the web client version & you could install it either client-server or web-browser client (using the original JInitiator plug-in).

Then they released the next major upgrade to the applications, called Oracle Applications 11 - again IIRC discrete apps. But this time the primary client was the web-browser based one. I'm not even sure whether you could get the client-server version.

The next generation of Application was Oracle 11.5 - as I understand it, not much change in the functionalilty of each module, but all modules started to fit together & share schemas and support/admin tools. Due to the common infrastructure & 'admin/support' layer, this could be viewed as a modularized suite and thus it becase known as the E-Business Suite.

Around the same time, the 'internet' magic happened & everyone wanted to have 'electronic' or 'internet' in their product name so Oracle [marketing?] named the 11.5 applications suite the Oracle 11i E-Business Suite.

So Oracle 11i E-Business Suite is anything inder the 11.5.x stream.

The timelines & name changes are available in the November/December 2001 online edition of the Oracle Magazine - go to http://www.oracle.com >> Publications (left column, under Resources?) >> Oracle Magazine

In parallel with the Applications, you have the core technology which consists of Tools, AppServer, Database and CollaborationSuite and these are all found under the "Oracle 9i" brand name.

HTH Received on Tue Jun 24 2003 - 18:49:40 CDT