Re: What does TNS stand for?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:34:26 GMT

Dave Hau wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> How does it work? Does the Oracle database running in Banyan-Vines need
> to have a listener that supports the Appletalk protocol to talk to the
> client?
>
> - Dave

Following is dredging up some old memories - I no longer have my copy of the Multiprotocol Interchange Administrator's Guide ... (others of my silver-haired compatriots are welcome to correct me <g>)

The gateway machine needs to have the appropriate cards for the two protocols (eg: Banyam, AppleTalk, TCP, etc.).

Functionally it then gets two SQL Net (aka Net8) 'gateway' listeners, one for each protocol. Each listener (on the incoming side) acts similar to a regular listener for it's incoming protocol; on the outgoing side it acts as a regluar client for it's outgoing protocol. Then there's the coordination software, etc. to ensure messages & responses do the right thing, like get to the right originating client - in today's world it's a lot like IP-Masq in *nix in each direction.

Of course that's mainly for historical interest - now-a-days you'd probably use a protocol bridge at the net leyer, below the SQL*Net layer. Received on Tue Jun 24 2003 - 18:34:26 CDT