PLSQL versus OCI versus JDBC

From: Menelaos Perdikeas <mperdikeas_at_semantix.gr>
Date: 18 Jun 2003 05:42:50 -0700

Hi

I 've got to built an application that would "synchronize" between two different database schemas (different structurally but semantically equivalent so that a mapping can be defined). Anyway, the logic for this mapping or synchronization (which will probably be run once a day and involve 1 millions rows) is quite involved and so I would rather built a client application in C++ using OCI or in Java using JDBCs to mediate between the two instances than rely on the loosely typed (according to my taste) PL-SQL. The code will be much more readable, maintainable and elegant (in my opionion) in a proper language than in PL-SQL. Anyway, thats not what I want to ask. My question is : would one expect the C++ or Java implementation to operate in a greatly reduced speed compared to PL-SQL ? Being an OO fan and nursing an inherent dislike for "languages" like PL-SQL, I would opt for C++ or Java even if it were 5 times slower. Do you feel this might be the case? ( I am only assuming that PL-SQL would be faster in this scenario since the data will not need to make the trip to a client PC and then back to the second server but the migration of data will take place entirely between the two servers). Any hints ?

Thanks,
Menelaos Perdikeas. Received on Wed Jun 18 2003 - 07:42:50 CDT