Re: PLSQL versus OCI versus JDBC

From: Peter Laursen <pl_at_invalid.dk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:46:53 +0200

"Menelaos Perdikeas" <mperdikeas_at_semantix.gr> wrote in message news:4b1e66bf.0306180442.a623f51_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> I 've got to built an application that would "synchronize" between
two
> different database schemas (different structurally but semantically
> equivalent so that a mapping can be defined). Anyway, the logic for
> this mapping or synchronization (which will probably be run once a
day
> and involve 1 millions rows) is quite involved and so I would rather
> built a client application in C++ using OCI or in Java using JDBCs
> mediate between the two instances than rely on the loosely typed
> (according to my taste) PL-SQL. The code will be much more readable,
> maintainable and elegant (in my opionion) in a proper language than
in
> PL-SQL. Anyway, thats not what I want to ask. My question is : would
> one expect the C++ or Java implementation to operate in a greatly
> reduced speed compared to PL-SQL ? Being an OO fan and nursing an
> inherent dislike for "languages" like PL-SQL, I would opt for C++ or
> Java even if it were 5 times slower. Do you feel this might be the
> case? ( I am only assuming that PL-SQL would be faster in this
> scenario since the data will not need to make the trip to a client
PC
> and then back to the second server but the migration of data will
take
> place entirely between the two servers). Any hints ?
>
> Thanks,
> Menelaos Perdikeas.

Hi,

PL/SQL is nice and good IMHO for smaller applications like a few thousand lines of code. Its also very good for building packages that encapsulate some functionality.
Make an intelligent mix. Code the applikation in C++. Build support packages in PL/SQL with the stuff that belongs in the database. This can reduce network traffic a lot. Remember that PL/SQL is an interpreted language and will execute code slower than compiled C++. Dont know about Java though. Had some bad experience with speed of Java apps. Just look at some of Oracles own apps, like the installer.

Peter Laursen Received on Wed Jun 18 2003 - 10:46:53 CDT