Re: PLSQL versus OCI versus JDBC

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:02:39 GMT

I like the advice that Tom Kyte gives in his Expert One-on-one Oracle book. Paraphrasing:

  1. If it can be done in a single SQL statement, use one SQL statement.
  2. If it can be done in PL/SQL, do it in PL/SQL.
  3. If it can be done in Java, then do it in Java.
  4. If all else fails, do it in C++.

I'd prefer to code as much in PL/SQL as possible. This should be faster than coding it externally, at least for the database portion of the application logic. The stored PL/SQL block will be compiled and ready to go and not have to wait for data to be returned over the network.

And PL/SQL is pretty easy to learn.

HTH,
Brian

Menelaos Perdikeas wrote:

> Hi
>
> I 've got to built an application that would "synchronize" between two
> different database schemas (different structurally but semantically
> equivalent so that a mapping can be defined). Anyway, the logic for
> this mapping or synchronization (which will probably be run once a day
> and involve 1 millions rows) is quite involved and so I would rather
> built a client application in C++ using OCI or in Java using JDBCs to
> mediate between the two instances than rely on the loosely typed
> (according to my taste) PL-SQL. The code will be much more readable,
> maintainable and elegant (in my opionion) in a proper language than in
> PL-SQL. Anyway, thats not what I want to ask. My question is : would
> one expect the C++ or Java implementation to operate in a greatly
> reduced speed compared to PL-SQL ? Being an OO fan and nursing an
> inherent dislike for "languages" like PL-SQL, I would opt for C++ or
> Java even if it were 5 times slower. Do you feel this might be the
> case? ( I am only assuming that PL-SQL would be faster in this
> scenario since the data will not need to make the trip to a client PC
> and then back to the second server but the migration of data will take
> place entirely between the two servers). Any hints ?
>
> Thanks,
> Menelaos Perdikeas.

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com