Re: PLSQL versus OCI versus JDBC

From: Dave Hau <davehau_nospam_123_at_nospam_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:28:56 GMT

It's always faster to run a stored procedure on the server side, rather than doing the same task via a client side app. The network overhead (Net8 + TCPIP stack overhead) saved alone is worth the consideration. Even if you run the client app on the same physical machine as the server, the best you can do is IPC which is still slower than running a stored procedure *in process* with the server.

I agree with you that OO is a good option in order to make the code more easily maintainable and reuseable. In this case, you should seriously consider using a Java stored procedure on the Oracle server.

Cheers,
Dave