Re: copying a database from one server to another

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 07:23:21 GMT

bob.schmitz_at_artisanpartners.com wrote:

> Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<bc9b6i$8of$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>...

>> Now the problem has moved or has gained a secend aspect:
>>
>> The Oracle services on the server, where I would have a chance to do
>> an export have been removed, although the registry entries in
>> HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE seem to be there.
>>
>> The oracle tree is also there. My Oracle installation CD that I once
>> downloaded from the Partner Programme Site has crc errors, no chance
>> to do a fresh installation.
>>
>> Would it be possible to reinstall the Oracle Services again and resurrect
>> the server this way? Or copy registry entries from another installation?
>>
>> I believe the service activation is registered elsewhere, not in the Oracle
>> hive, but in system somewhere.

Yes, that's correct. The question is, how the services are registered. I myself wrote a service in C++ with a piece of service code from MS some time ago and the service registers itself in the registry when invoked with the option -install.

If the Oracle services and the service for each instance are installed the same way, I could possibly get away with this.