Re: copying a database from one server to another

From: <bob.schmitz_at_artisanpartners.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2003 10:02:11 -0700

Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<bc9b6i$8of$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>...
> Now the problem has moved or has gained a secend aspect:
>
> The Oracle services on the server, where I would have a chance to do
> an export have been removed, although the registry entries in
> HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE seem to be there.
>
> The oracle tree is also there. My Oracle installation CD that I once
> downloaded from the Partner Programme Site has crc errors, no chance
> to do a fresh installation.
>
> Would it be possible to reinstall the Oracle Services again and resurrect
> the server this way? Or copy registry entries from another installation?
>
> I believe the service activation is registered elsewhere, not in the Oracle
> hive, but in system somewhere.
>

> Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
> > Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> >> I have a database left in \oracle\ora81\databases on an NT server
> >> which also may have the Oracle server installed, but the server
> >> seems to be disabled in NT services. Anyway, I don't want to resurrect
> >> that server again, but instead migrate the database left ther to another
> >> server running 8i (or maybe 8.0.6 or something, I cannot predict at the
> >> moment).
> >>
> >> How can I "move" the database to the other server? As said, I would
> >> believe it to be difficult to get that server running on that machine and
> >> do a full export.

Unless you're able to get another copy of the installation disk and any SWR's I'm not sure what you can do. I've never heard of using the technique you describe with the registry. See if you can get another emergency distribution of the NT version of the Oracle server from Oracle or check with a local users group; maybe someone has an older copy and could help you out ... then export the database, schema, tables, whatever, but get an export copy of it and then use it on another newer one. Exports are great and don't limit you when you want to move to a different OS.

Hope this helps.