Re: Oracle backup to tape Please help....

From: Burt <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 9 Jun 2003 10:31:41 -0700

One method we use is to backup Oracle to a disk location and then let the "normal" backup method backup the backup files.

Usually, letting a "file server" type backup do a backup of the Oracle backup files is easier than coordinating Oracle backups (while tablepsaces are in backup mode - at least for the prior-to-RMAN method).

Works good for the old method (prior to RMAN) of hot/online backups and should work with RMAN too (I think):

1) alter tablespace xxxx begin backup;
2) copy files for tablespace to another location
3) alter tablespace xxxx end backup ;

Of course, this has to be done for each tablespace and also you need to backup the controlfile, archived log files, and init.ora . And, test, test, test ... :)

Anyway, just another option that might be quicker/easier to implement - not necessarily easier to maintain . Each time you add a tablespace you have to update the script or write a script to build the list of tablespaces.