Re: Oracle backup to tape Please help....

From: Stephen Ferracioli <ferracioli_at_101freeway.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:20:49 GMT

"Rukmini Madduluri" <rmadduluri_at_stantec.com> wrote in message news:a4d18386.0306090438.5cfe25d4_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently accepting responsibility to Backup our database
> periodically. I have been doing various other dba tasks like
> performance tuning, writing scripts, stored procedures and triggers.
> I'm very good at PL/SQL and SQL . I know how to backup to a disk and
> to exports and imports , but the problem is we have a server that has
> to be backed up onto a tape. The server is a dell server that has its
> own tape device and we have ARC Serve to manage the tapes. I can see
> the Tape only from arc serve Media manager but cannot see the tape
> from Windows explorer. I have never worked with tapes. I'm comfortable
> doing backup's to disks but do not know how to backup to tape. Is
> there a way to backup to the tape through Arc Serve or can I do it
> directly from oracle. Any direction in this regard is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Rukmini
> rmadduluri_at_stantec.com

If you have the luxury ($$$) of backing up to disk first then backup to disk first before you back up to tape. You can do offline or online backups to disk, then bring tell arcserve to archive your backup image from disk. If your tape drive is slow, then your backs will run faster if they go to disk first. Plus it's most likely that if you have to restore a database, it will be from the most recent backup, which again will be faster if you keep your most recent backup image on disk. Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 12:20:49 CDT