Re: How do you set up shared server connecttion?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:09:28 GMT

> I would like to know if you do a search in this cases
> or do you have a kind of repository, that contains such things.

I just do a quick search for things like this when I need to post a link. Why would I create a repository of AskTom or other sites when their search engines are fine enough?

It only takes a minute. And that's part of the point. It only takes a minute. Others could find the answers just as quickly if only they took the time.

I recently gave a presentation at IOUG Live! where I talked about steps one could take to grow their career as a DBA. One of the points that I made was that people should RTFM (but I was much more polite). Is it any coincidence that the best DBAs giving the best advice all say to read the docs? I don't think so. Is it any coincidence that the best DBAs have all read the docs? I don't think so. This doesn't mean that reading the docs will make you a great DBA, but not reading the docs will hamper your efforts to become a very good DBA.

Another point I made was that people should develop a list of resources. The docs are obviously one resource. So are Metalink, AskTom, Ixora, and many, many other web sites. I even mentioned these very newsgroups and how to search for them on Google. These are all resources that people have at their disposal to find out answers to their questions and to grow their career. Any "repository" I have is in my brain that these sites exist and I know which ones to go to and how to search for my answers. That's probably exactly what the others in this group do as well. So bookmark some sites in your web browser. Figure out what each site is good for. Find out how to use their search engines.

Cheers!
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com