Re: "Alter system switch logfile" hangs

From: Gaetan <gaetan_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2003 08:16:25 -0700

All.

First of all, thanks for the help. Really appreciate.

I forgot to mention but my database is in definitely in archivelog mode.

I changed the parms with LOG_ARCHIVE_START=TRUE and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST=/oracle/dba/app/oracle/oradata I do have 3GB free in my FS and the database is actually empty.

I started as followed:

startup mount exclusive
alter database archivelog
alter database mount

select LOG_MODE from v$database

LOG_MODE

ARCHIVELOG then I put my tablespace in hotbackup mode and "Alter system switch logfile" usually fails after the second or 3rd time.

These systems are actually brand new and there are no activities other than Oracle.
This is not a PROD system, so I'm not concerned where the ARCH logs should be located.

Norman, I think you pinpointed where the problem can be as I run those commands one after the other and sometimes it fails after the 4th time. My redo logs are around 100MB

This is the output of the v$log and v$logfile SQL> select * from v$log;

    GROUP# THREAD# SEQUENCE# BYTES MEMBERS ARC STATUS ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---

FIRST_CHANGE# FIRST_TIM
------------- ---------
         1          1         23  104857600          1 NO  INACTIVE
      3297372 04-JUN-03

         2          1         24  104857600          1 NO  CURRENT
      3297487 04-JUN-03

         3          1         22  104857600          1 NO  INACTIVE
      3284638 04-JUN-03

SQL> select * from v$logfile;

    GROUP# STATUS TYPE
---------- ------- -------
MEMBER

         3 ONLINE
/oracle/dba/app/oracle/oradata/ORA920/redo03.log

         2 ONLINE
/oracle/dba/app/oracle/oradata/ORA920/redo02.log

         1 ONLINE
/oracle/dba/app/oracle/oradata/ORA920/redo01.log

I'll check this out as well as the alert.log

Thanks to you all guys.
Cheers
Gaetan Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 10:16:25 CDT