Re: "Alter system switch logfile" hangs

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 22:32:27 +1000

"Gaetan" <gaetan_at_rocketmail.com> wrote in message news:c43ffc28.0306040207.956fd17_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello.
>
> I'm using Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 under AIX 5.1 to replicate a database using
> a 3rd party tool which we develop. I'm not a DBA and usually get all
> the help from this group or from Metalink but I'm running out of ideas
> and time.
>
> I wrote scripts to put the tablespace in hotbackup mode but the
> command "alter system switch logfile" just hangs when executed the
> second time.
>
> When I run the query manually, the command hangs after the 3rd time
>
> SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE begin backup
> Tablespace altered
> SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE end backup
> Tablespace altered
> SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
> Database altered
> SQL> alter system switch logfile
> System altered
> SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE begin backup
> Tablespace altered
> SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE end backup
> Tablespace altered
> SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
> Database altered
> SQL> alter system switch logfile
> HANGS AT THIS TIME UNTIL I PRESS CTRL^C
>
> No .ARC files are being created. I uncommented LOG_ARCHIVE_START and
> LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST in the init.ora, bounced the instance but it doesn't
> make any changes
>
> I'm not a DBA and usually get all the help from this group or from
> Metalink.

Hi Gaetan,

You need to ensure that an arc process has been started (say via setting log_archive_start=true) and ensure there's no issue with the mandatory archive destinations (eg. sufficient free space).

If you check out the alert.log and any associated arc trace files, they should tell you what the issue(s) might be.

Good Luck

Richard Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 07:32:27 CDT