Re: URGENT Can you convert SQL Stored Proceedures to Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 15:18:35 -0700

zGalen Boyer wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2003, mgogala_at_adelphia.net wrote:
>
> > Migration Workbench is an excellent product and I'm not aware of any
> > corruption issues. I am very interested in examples of such corruption
> > that you might have.
>
> We also used it quite successfully. We had to do it many times until we
> got everything working on Oracle, but now the application that was
> previously running against SQLServer executes against Oracle. Tuning it
> was also a known must.
>
> Maybe the issue is really expectations. Management needs to know it
> isn't a silver bullet. Getting it working and tested on Oracle is only
> the first step. It is a very helpful product but don't think it will
> take a day or so.
>
> --
> Galen deForest Boyer
> Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

Advice to Mladen, Galen, and others. Get a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle." Tom provides ample examples of the disaster that can await those that migrate from SQL Server to Oracle, and visa versa, without a proper understanding of the architectural differences.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu