Re: RMAN problems

From: Mark Nguyen <carmaboy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2003 07:21:57 -0700

I appreciate the advice of learning an os backup first, but what I'm trying to get at is if RMAN is reliable or not. A respondant asked me if I was doing a restore and not doing a recovery. Unfortunately, I am doing both...the syntax I use is thus:

run {
allocate channel c0 type disk format 'xxx'; restore database;
recover database;
}

Everything runs perfect without any indiciations of errors. I shall try the point in time recovery, but it doesn't seem logical, unless this is an oracle thing, that you would have to specify a point in time if you wanted the point in time when you took the full hot backup. More importantly, I am using EM to run the full hot backup and you would think that EM could do a full restore. Part of the problem is that this is a 24/7 system and the vendor recommended we use RMAN instead of scripts (which I had implemented but had to remove). So after spending weeks getting scripts to work perfectly, I had to configure RMAN which appears to but does not work. I guess its TAR time.

Thanks for the continued postings, any further insight or opinions are greatly appreciated.