Re: Off Topic : VNC

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:32:01 +1100

"Frank" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:3E8202CB.303_at_netscape.net...
> Connor McDonald wrote:
> > Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> >
> <snip!>
> >
> > Another option is just to run X on a PC - you can get a freeware X
> > client called Weird X - its about 200k of Java
> >
> If it's some administrative stuff you're after, take a look
> at webmin. Uses perl (comes with about every Linux distro, but
> may not be installed - depends on the flavour (flavor?) of
> installation you have chosen), and works great.

Webmin would not be sufficient for my purposes. Yes, I want to just issue reboot commands, or to edit the odd configuration file here and there. But Yes, I also want to be able to run Enterprise Manager if the occasion arises (which I can do, even with twm). And I rather like the familiarity of Gnome, so I'd prefer that if it were possible (and it's supposed to be possible!!).

> It's not like taking over a graphical shell - what vnc basically
> does. Hint: start vnc from within a graphic shell, on my RH7.3
> vncserver is enough.

Er, well, the thrust of this thread was that it *wasn't* enough for me! I can't start VNC in a graphical shell. I have to start it as part of the boot process... because the machine has no monitor, keyboard or mouse, and is in a different part of the house (we didn't really need the garage for such mundane things as a car anyway!). I can't therefore log on to the machine locally in order to manually start VNC, and I wouldn't want to anyway. This thing is supposed to work!

Billy has been kind enough to offer me off-line help. I may just take him up on that offer. Or I might just put up with twm. It is workable. Sort of. After enough Whiskeys, it almost looks like Gnome anyway.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 14:32:01 CST