Re: Oracle 9.2.0 Gentoo Linux - ORA 3113 on DB startup

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet_at_hjp.at>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:14:37 +0100

On 2003-02-11 07:22, Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I put the lines
>
> cd /proc/sys/kernel
> echo 250 32000 100 128 > sem
>
> in my /etc/rc.local file, and it reboots with the right setting (ie, cat
> sem shows those settings. And that's Red Hat 8.0. Given that it works,
> I'm loathe to 'fix' it... but I wonder whether that's the right place for
> it.
>
> I seem to remember asking this ages ago, and being told about run levels.
> It meant nothing very much at the time, but I'm a bit more clued up now! I
> presume that rc.local is invoked in run level 5 or higher?

Actually rc.local is a remnant of the times before run levels. It is run in run levels 2, 3, and 5 on Redhat (i.e., in all "multi-user" run-levels), as youc can see with ls -l /etc/rc*/*local*:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Jan 25  2000 rc2.d/S99local -> ../rc.local*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Jan 25  2000 rc3.d/S99local -> ../rc.local*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Jan 25  2000 rc5.d/S99local -> ../rc.local*

It is also among the last commands to run, so it may be already too late to have any effect on oracle.

The right place to put kernel parameters is /etc/sysctl.conf (At least on Redhat and Debian. Can't check SuSE at the moment).

About "runlevel 5 or higher": On Linux (unlike HP-UX and maybe other Unixes) there is no relation between run levels. By convention, 0 means "halt" and 6 means "reboot" and the run levels between are ordered by increasing number of running services. But if you boot into run level 5, the system starts only the services defined for run level 5, not those for run levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. So you can have totally different things running at the different run levels. It's probably better to think of them as "modes" or "profiles" than "levels". On Redhat, 5 would be "workstation mode" (with X11), 3 "server mode" (only console, but all daemons running), 1 and 2 "maintenance modes" (no network, no or only a minimum of daemons running).

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | To a database person,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | every nail looks like a thumb.