Re: Oracle 9.2.0 Gentoo Linux - ORA 3113 on DB startup

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:18:52 +1100

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:14:37 +0100, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

> On 2003-02-11 07:22, Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> I put the lines
>>
>> cd /proc/sys/kernel
>> echo 250 32000 100 128 > sem
>>
>> in my /etc/rc.local file, and it reboots with the right setting (ie, cat
>> sem shows those settings. And that's Red Hat 8.0. Given that it works,
>> I'm loathe to 'fix' it... but I wonder whether that's the right place
>> for it.
>>
>> I seem to remember asking this ages ago, and being told about run
>> levels. It meant nothing very much at the time, but I'm a bit more clued
>> up now! I presume that rc.local is invoked in run level 5 or higher?

> Actually rc.local is a remnant of the times before run levels. It is run
> in run levels 2, 3, and 5 on Redhat (i.e., in all "multi-user"
> run-levels), as youc can see with ls -l /etc/rc*/*local*:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 25 2000 rc2.d/S99local ->
> ../rc.local* lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 25 2000
> rc3.d/S99local -> ../rc.local* lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11
> Jan 25 2000 rc5.d/S99local -> ../rc.local*
>
> It is also among the last commands to run, so it may be already too late
> to have any effect on oracle.

Got you. I aimgine if I had oratab arranged to autostart my databases, I'd probably be in trouble. But since I don't, the right values are set before I get round to starting them myself. But I take the hint, and will either drop it into rcX.d, or...

> The right place to put kernel parameters is /etc/sysctl.conf (At least on
> Redhat and Debian. Can't check SuSE at the moment).

..here, if I can figure out the syntax.

> About "runlevel 5 or higher": On Linux (unlike HP-UX and maybe other
> Unixes) there is no relation between run levels. By convention, 0 means
> "halt" and 6 means "reboot" and the run levels between are ordered by
> increasing number of running services. But if you boot into run level 5,
> the system starts only the services defined for run level 5, not those for
> run levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. So you can have totally different things
> running at the different run levels. It's probably better to think of them
> as "modes" or "profiles" than "levels". On Redhat, 5 would be "workstation
> mode" (with X11), 3 "server mode" (only console, but all daemons running),
> 1 and 2 "maintenance modes" (no network, no or only a minimum of daemons
> running).

Much obliged for that. Run levels 1 and 2 sound like the euivalent of booting Windows in safe mode... which could be useful, I suppose.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Feb 11 2003 - 17:18:52 CST