Re: Oracle 9.2.0 Gentoo Linux - ORA 3113 on DB startup

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:22:57 +1100

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 20:12:10 +0000, Rauf Sarwar wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E469171.CC5477E_at_exesolutions.com>...

>> You mention kernel parameters and specifically note SHMMAX. Did you set
>> all 9 of them? And did you reboot the box so that they would take effect
>> before beginning the installation?

> Just an FYI...
> Reboot will reset the kernel parameters to the original default
> setting (Atleast on RedHat unless I missed some other step). Write a
> script to initialize these Oracle specific values on system startup.
> Place the script in /etc/init.d and run it in runlevel 3.
>
> Regards
> /Rauf Sarwar

I put the lines

cd /proc/sys/kernel
echo 250 32000 100 128 > sem

in my /etc/rc.local file, and it reboots with the right setting (ie, cat sem shows those settings. And that's Red Hat 8.0. Given that it works, I'm loathe to 'fix' it... but I wonder whether that's the right place for it.

I seem to remember asking this ages ago, and being told about run levels. It meant nothing very much at the time, but I'm a bit more clued up now! I presume that rc.local is invoked in run level 5 or higher? Is that sucha problem if it is??

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Feb 11 2003 - 01:22:57 CST