Re: Totally Off-Topic (it's that Linux newbie again)

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet_at_hjp.at>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:34:29 +0100

On 2003-02-11 08:24, Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
> If you do development in various languages etc, Debian is great! Of
> all the distros I've tried, Debian has the best package management -

I agree with that.

> especially if you have a fast connection. You just install a minimal
> distribution and then when you need something you just type
>
> apt-get install package
>
> The really nice thing is you don't get into the dependency spiral
> diving I use to sometimes get with RPM.

Incidentally, apt is also available for RPM. Check out www.freshrpms.net.

gnorpm and red carpet can also recursively resolve dependencies, so you can choose the one you like best.

> My only criticism of Debian is that it has one of the slowest release
> cycles.

:-) Redhat advertizes "slow release cycle" as one of the advantages of RH Advanced Server over RH Professional.

	hp (who has a nice mixture of Redhat 6.x and 7.x boxes and knows
	    people who are still running Redhat 5.x on production
	    systems)

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | To a database person,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | every nail looks like a thumb.